September 24th, 2017
dine: (zen coffee - lanning)
posted by [personal profile] dine at 10:48am on 24/09/2017 under
wpadmirer: (Default)
posted by [personal profile] wpadmirer at 07:13am on 24/09/2017
That was the last line of my horoscope this morning, and I really like it.

I'm up early because Pat is going bicycling. But I have no obligations today. That is rare for me. There's usually something that I have scheduled, or that must be done. Instead I find myself with the morning alone and nothing required.

Whatever shall I do?

I had a lovely lunch with my friend Patti. It was good to catch up. We hadn't seen each other in a long while.

I heard about her trip to New Jersey to see her grandson, and how they had fared through the storm. They lost power for five days. Otherwise they did pretty well. I'm glad.

I took another long nap yesterday afternoon. I just feel really tired this weekend. I think that it's a combination of a hard work week, hard boxing lesson, and I'm still processing shit from my mother's death. I have had multiple dreams which she appears in.

The human brain is a weird thing, and the heart no different.
September 23rd, 2017
wpadmirer: (Default)
posted by [personal profile] wpadmirer at 11:10am on 23/09/2017
Yesterday I went to get my hip beaten on. It keeps it from being a ball of pain, and I'm really grateful that I can get that done.

After that I was given brownies by Paayal, which are delicious. I ate two yesterday and one this morning. (I'm having lunch with a friend, which is the only reason I didn't eat more.)

Then Pat and I took a three hour nap. It was lovely.

We watched some baseball. The Tampa Bay Rays won.

Then I read a bit before bed. NO EASY DAY, which is the autobiography of one of the SEAL Team Six members who captured and killed Osama Bin Laden is very, very interesting.

This morning we slept in and then spent time just lying in bed and talking with each other. We'd still be doing that, but I needed to get up and get my e-mail and blogging done so I could head out to meet my friend, Patti, for lunch.

I may not be rich. I am certainly not famous. But I am loved, and I love, and I can have lovely days where I nap with Pat and watch baseball. Can't beat that with a stick.
dine: (autumn eye - misbegotten)
September 22nd, 2017
dine: (hello friday)
wpadmirer: (Default)
posted by [personal profile] wpadmirer at 07:08am on 22/09/2017

(Sorry, I don't know how to do name/link/thingies on DW.)
wpadmirer: (Default)
posted by [personal profile] wpadmirer at 07:08am on 22/09/2017
So just as I was really missing him, Pat came home. It was really nice to get a text from him shortly after I got home saying he was at Walmart picking something up and then on his way to the house.

He showed up with pizza, and we ate and relaxed together. Just yakking about our weeks.

SO nice.

Boxing was HARD. I learned a new exercise - fish out of water. You lie on your stomach and lift your hands and head up, and your legs and feet up - and while keeping them up, you raise and lower your hands in conjunction with spreading your feet apart and putting them back together. This exercise is evil.

OMG, I was exhausted.

Also, once again, I sucked on shadow boxing. DAMMIT!

Work was insane, and the boss was back from vacation, which did not make it easier. (grin) I love the woman, but she's like a tornado of energy, and I would have preferred a soft summer breeze of relaxation.
September 21st, 2017
dine: (Barrayar seal)
wpadmirer: (Default)
posted by [personal profile] wpadmirer at 07:24am on 21/09/2017
He's been gone since Monday, and I realized last night that I miss having him home. I'm kind of wandering around in the evenings. I read a bit. Watch stupid tv. I actually said out loud, if something happened to Pat I would have to own a dog. Seriously. I need company that loves me.

It probably hasn't helped that work has been crazy. I was told by a friend at work yesterday that one of the employees she supervises was having trouble with her monitor, and the first thing she said was "I'll call Sarah. She can fix it." She said that she stopped her and said, "No, you'll try to fix it yourself, and I'll help you. Sarah doesn't need to be called for every little thing."

Bless her!

I did manage to talk to two people who applied for the maintenance position. I've left messages for two others. Don't know if I'll hear, but we'll see. I'd like to have at least three for interviews.

This afternoon I have boxing lessons. Hopefully I will do better today than I did on Tuesday. I was hopeless on Tuesday.
September 20th, 2017
dine: (booky - jchalo)
wpadmirer: (Default)
posted by [personal profile] wpadmirer at 07:42am on 20/09/2017
I was tired yesterday and not very focused, but I still enjoyed it.

Work had been a monster. If it could go wrong, it did. I forgot my phone at home. That started the day. Then I had payroll, and was interrupted at least six times by "emergencies." One of them? A phone line that had been ringing since last week. Suddenly it was driving them crazy and it had to be fixed TODAY. I don't understand things like this. They know it's payday. Do they really want to interrupt me for something that's been going on for days? Why not ask me last week when it started?

Then the ACH site for direct deposits for payroll decided it didn't recognize my computer, so it wanted me to enter a "passcode." However, the passcode was being sent to the phone which was at home on my desk. (bangs head hard) So I called them and they kindly gave me a passcode that I could enter. So I was able to enter the check amounts.

The computer in the lab hasn't worked since last week. So of course they wanted it fixed RIGHT NOW. (sigh) So I had to stop payroll to go fuck with that. Our IT consultant did get it fixed, but seriously, people! PAYROLL.

Then I had to take all the checks for both bills and the paper checks for payroll (yes, we still have people who insist on paper checks) into Alachua (which is 20 minutes away) to get them signed. That done I came back and stuffed envelopes with bills (so they could be mailed), and then began to distribute checks.

At the same time I am being asked to "do something" about the tree that fell on the Medical Clinic storage shed during Irma. EGADS, PEOPLE! I managed to convince them this could wait for 1) word from our insurance company, and 2) next week.

There are days when I feel like I'm the only one in the office who cannot get through an hour of work without interruption.

Finally I was able to leave the office and go to boxing. Where my focus was shot to hell, but I worked hard anyway. I suck at shadow boxing. I'm going to have to work on that. In particular the backwards move combined with a forward step for the right cross. ARGH. My body just would not do that yesterday.

I came home and ate ice cream.
September 19th, 2017
dine: (tricorns - semyaza)
wpadmirer: (Default)
posted by [personal profile] wpadmirer at 07:15am on 19/09/2017
Yesterday was a weird day. I went to work and immediately got asked to fix the lab computer because I apparently fix everything. ???

I took photos of the set-up and texted them to our IT consultant and then he and I got on the telephone and between the photos and me answering questions, we got the computer fixed.

Partially. Today I have to do a fast support with him to fix the final problem, but the computer was at least mostly working.

Then I got asked by the accountant what suspension accounts should money be going into. She sends me a print-out that reads: DOH, CHOICES, CAPP for each of the transfers. The suspension accounts are DOH, CHOICES, CAPP. I cannot see what the mystery is. DOH goes into DOH, CHOICES into CHOICES, and CAPP into CAPP. Am I missing something? She set up the system I'm using and I'm using it the way she told me to, and it clearly reads EXACTLY what it's supposed to read, so why don't know you know what to put in it?

(bangs head on desk)

Then I went to the dermatologist. First time I've ever been to one. I had developed a flesh-colored lump on the end of a scar from childhood that is on my forehead. He removed it and is sending it for a biopsy. So I guess it was good to go get it checked.

So I came home with an ouchie and a bandaid.

I stopped on the way home and bought groceries, including ice cream for dinner. I was in bed early because today is a payroll day and boxing. So I knew I needed to get some sleep.

Pat is in Branford with is friend Ric. They did get the Jeep running yesterday, so that was a success. Now he's going to hang out for a couple of days and then drive the Jeep back here.

I live in hope that people don't drive me crazy today, but I'm also not holding my breath.
September 18th, 2017
callmesandyk: (want a thousand strong)
wpadmirer: (Default)
posted by [personal profile] wpadmirer at 07:14am on 18/09/2017
It will be a short day for me because I have an appointment to see a dermatologist. Since I've met my out-of-pocket costs for the year, I decided that I would get checked out for potential skin cancers and other issues. Won't cost me anything, and is something we should all do as we age.

I've got a weird spot that developed on a childhood scar on my forehead that I want to be sure isn't something bad. So good enough reason.

Pat is going to Branford to help his friend Ric with his Jeep. He's been worried about it with the storms, and the last time he was in Branford it wouldn't start, and it's the battery, so they're going to replace the battery and see if they can get it running. He'll probably be up there a couple of nights.

If they do get it running, he wants Pat to drive it back here for us to use and keep it running. We'll see how that works out.

We did get a good nap in yesterday. I watched THE MAN FROM U.N.C.L.E. movie while I folded clothes. It was truly awful. I loved that show as a kid, and I had wanted to see it in the theater. Now I'm glad that I couldn't. Man, it was bad.
September 17th, 2017
dine: (faded sun)
wpadmirer: (Default)
It was really nice. I hadn't seen her in over four weeks because she's been out on maternity leave. I got to see the new baby who is very cute. She burps and farts like an old lady. It's hysterical.

We yakked for several hours and just generally relaxed with each other. It was lovely. I have missed her fiercely since she's been on maternity leave. We normally chat with each other a couple of times a day when we're at work together.

This morning I was up at 5:45 because Pat has a bicycle ride.

I will be doing laundry because I might as well be productive while I'm up.

We watched baseball again. The Rays are having a terrible time against the Red Sox. (sigh) Also there was a horrendous call by a ref on a ball that was a strike. He called it a ball which caused a walk. Horrible call. The pitcher was enraged. And it changed the whole momentum of the game.


Pat was laughing at me because the night before the Rays/Red Sox went into 15 innings. I was yelling at the tv, "BASEBALL IS SUPPOSED TO BE RELAXING!"

It IS!
September 16th, 2017
dine: (SGA muppet john - astridv)
wpadmirer: (Default)
posted by [personal profile] wpadmirer at 10:56am on 16/09/2017
Pat had a doctor's appointment yesterday and he asked me to go with him. It was one of his routine appointments with our primary doc. All his blood work was beautiful. He does have a problem with his right foot that is going to require a visit to a podiatrist. Poor guy. But otherwise he's really healthy.

After that he took me to the Flying Biscuit for brunch and I ate all the food. It was good.

Then we came home, and he ran a short errand, and when he returned, we napped. I am a champion napper. We slept for three hours.

It was a good day.

Last night we watched the Tampa Bay Rays lose a game to the Boston Red Sox in the 15th inning. Yes, that's right the 15th inning. It was sad. They had played so well until then, but their pitching just took a fucking dive and the Red Sox went on a hitting binge that ended all hope of them winning the game.


Today I'm going to go visit my friend Paayal and hang out for a bit. I miss her like all hell at work, so it will be really good to spend time hanging with her.
September 15th, 2017
dine: (idris suit - misbegotten)
wpadmirer: (Default)
posted by [personal profile] wpadmirer at 08:08am on 15/09/2017
I got a buttload of work done yesterday and then went to boxing lessons.

I worked my ass off, and I'm getting better with the 1-2 punch. Though the striking bag is still a nemesis. My coach took a short video of me using it, and it's here:

Look for the old lady in the blue shirt and black shorts. That's me.

I came out of there feeling good. I just really enjoy boxing. I love the coaches, I love the feeling of getting stronger. I even love that I come home exhausted and sweaty.

When coach was doing the mitts, where I have to stand in front of him, move with him (forwards and backwards, side to side, all round), I was getting some pretty good punches in. I still suck at double taps, but I've got a decent 1-2, and I'm learning to roll (which is sliding under a punch).

SO fucking cool.
September 14th, 2017
dine: (H50 - chin - robanybody)
wpadmirer: (Default)
posted by [personal profile] wpadmirer at 07:36am on 14/09/2017
I really, really need to punch something.

Yesterday the passive/aggressive pain in my ass came into my office and demanded to know why I hadn't written a check last week for her substitute dentist. (Our regular dentist is on maternity leave.) I said, "My mother died last week. I was out for bereavement leave and I wrote no checks last week."

Her response? "Well, it's too long for him to not be paid. You need to do it today and get it signed."

My response, "I'm taking checks to get them signed next Tuesday." (The boss is on vacation beginning yesterday, which passive/aggressive knew.)

"Well, he can't wait that long!"

I told her I wasn't going to take a single check to our other signer. She insisted that it had to be done. So, she is taking the check to the signer this morning.

What a fucking asshole.

She was in the office on Tuesday, when the boss and I were both there. (I was putting together computers.) But does she ask for it then? No, she waits for boss to be gone. I'd been out one day for bereavement leave and one day for Irma. When the fuck did she think the fucking check would have been written? She'd put the invoice in my box on Wednesday after I left for bereavement leave. Yeah, seriously.

I really, really need to punch something. I'm going to name the heavy bag after her.

I wish she was older than me so she'd fucking retire and be gone. But no, she's younger. FUCK.

In other news, the Santa Fe River has risen by 15 feet and is still rising. They are closing bridges everywhere. About 3/4 of ACORN's employees live on the other side of the river, so they all up and left yesterday afternoon before the bridges closed. They will not be back at work today, because now the bridges are closed. They're even threatening to close I-75 where it crosses the Santa Fe because the water was up to the bridge and still rising yesterday.

It is a crazy fucking time in Florida.
September 13th, 2017
callmesandyk: (boycott)
dine: (zen whee - spasticat)
wpadmirer: (Default)
posted by [personal profile] wpadmirer at 07:20am on 13/09/2017
The road resurfaced yesterday from the flooding, so I actually got called in. I took care of my payroll issue (which actually got more complicated), and then reinstalled 20 computers in the Medical Clinic. That sucked. I spent an hour under desks re-connecting cables. All the computers had been put on top of the desks and covered in plastic. It took me an hour, which isn't bad, but my knees were screaming by the time I finished. I had to ice them last night.

The payroll problem was weird. The company that does our direct deposits for us had deleted our debit offset account because they had set it up wrong. But they didn't make a new one. So I went on to transfer money to them and there was no account to transfer to. (sigh) That took about 45 minutes to resolve, with me having to set up the offset account myself. What a pain in the ass!

I was starving and cranky and in pain when I got home. I went with Pat to pick up his prescriptions and he bought me a Payday candy bar and a bottle of water. I was better after that.

Then last night I iced the hell out of my knees while we watched the Tampa Bay Rays beat the New York Yankees.

The boss leaves for vacation today, so we'll see what kind of shit-storms happens when everyone returns. I'm likely to not be too sympathetic. (grin)
September 12th, 2017
callmesandyk: (artisanal)
dine: (dine3 - misbegotten)
wpadmirer: (Default)
posted by [personal profile] wpadmirer at 06:53am on 12/09/2017
There is still no power at my job, and the road into it is flooded.

Meanwhile I realized that I have to figure out a way to transfer money for payroll for next week. (sigh) So I guess I'm going to have to call the bank, because I can't get into the account from home on-line because all the "safety" phone numbers and e-mails are for work. What a pain in the ass.

So I'm going to call the credit union to today and talk to our rep to see if there's a way they can clear me to do it from home.

If the money doesn't transfer this week, payroll will be late, and with the storm I know people will need their money. They always need their money, but it will be worse.

The rural area out by the clinic is pretty flooded, and many of the employees live there.


Meanwhile, I'm safe, have power, and no damage. So I'm very grateful.

Just have no idea when I'll be able to get into the office!
September 11th, 2017
wpadmirer: (Default)
posted by [personal profile] wpadmirer at 06:53pm on 11/09/2017
We got through the hurricane with no damage and still had power. Pat and I slept in, so I really didn't get moving until around 11. (We didn't go to bed until 1 am.)

Then at 11:30 the power goes out. We hear the transformer blow. So, no power for the next seven hours.

I read. I started THE WRONG DEAD GUY by Richard Kadrey, which I had on my Kindle. It's a fun book, so I was entertained.

Pat worked on his bicycle. He is planning on going for a ride tomorrow.

I can't go to work because the road to work from Gainesville is flooded! Also there is no power there, so my boss closed us for another day. We'll see what happens on Wednesday.

There is quite a bit of flooding in town, and especially out of town on the rural roads. But where we are is fine. We have a lot of branches down, but no damage to the roofs or buildings at all. No cars damaged either.

So it's all good. We were very, very lucky.


12 13
14 15
29 30